As you age, your body changes. No matter how much you want to deny it, your abilities will change as you age. And as you age, you can either fight your body or listen to it!
As you age, it’s important to move your thoughts away from exercising to lose weight. Instead, you need to shift your focus to creating health and wellness goals that center around your mind, body, and spirit.
Getting started is often the hardest part. Use the tips below to help you set realistic health and wellness goals as a senior that focus on your whole-person health:
- Consult with a healthcare professional: Before setting any health or wellness goals, you should consult with your primary healthcare professional to determine your specific health needs and limitations. A healthcare professional can help you identify any health issues and offer guidance on what kind of exercise and diet would be most beneficial for you.
- Identify specific activity goals: As a senior, you should set specific health and wellness goals that are measurable and achievable. For example, instead of saying, “I want to meditate more,” you should set a specific goal like “I will meditate for 15 minutes every day.” Focus on activities that help you stay active and happy instead of something that feels like a chore.
- Focus on the most important health goals: As you age, you should focus on the most important health goals that will have the greatest impact on your health and well-being. This may be different for every individual and could include goals related to exercise, nutrition, stress management, and sleep.
- Set realistic health and wellness goals: You should always aim to set realistic and achievable goals. Be willing to modify your goals as you progress and learn more about your specific abilities and limitations.
- Track progress: Track your progress towards your health and wellness goals and update your healthcare professional. This can help you stay motivated and make adjustments that benefit your mind, body, and spirit as needed.
- Celebrate successes: Don’t be afraid to celebrate your successes along the way. Even small accomplishments can be cause for celebration and can help you stay positive and motivated.
- Be accountable: Find ways to hold yourself accountable for your goals. This could include partnering with a friend or family member, joining a senior group, or using an app or website to track progress.
- Be patient: Always be patient with yourselves as they work towards your health and wellness goals. It may take time to see results, and it’s more about the journey than the destination when it comes to wellness programs for seniors.
Remember, everyone’s health and wellness goals will look different. While you might need to spend more time focusing on your spiritual well-being, someone else might need to focus their attention on physical health. Always keep your personal goals in mind, and ultimately, only focus on the activities that will lead to a healthier and happier life.
If you need support as you start your health and wellness journey, consider learning more about Upside. Our Upside Managers can act as your personal concierge to help you find health and wellness classes, and groups or even help you schedule appointments with your physician. Learn more about our services and how it works.