10 Tips for Moving to Jacksonville, Florida in Retirement
So you’re thinking about retiring to beautiful Jacksonville, Florida? This northeastern corner of Florida is known for incredible architecture, picture-perfect shorelines and beach-city vibes. Famous for having attractions on both water and land, it’s a retiree’s dream.
But, if you’re thinking about relocating to the more than 850 square miles of beaches and canals in Jacksonville, there are some things you should know. Living in Jacksonville, FL, year-round has its perks.
The Best Places to Relocate in Jacksonville, Florida
While you can’t go wrong when it comes to the nearly 500 picturesque neighborhoods in Jacksonville, some areas are worth checking out:
- Ortega Forest
- Isle of Palms
- Secret Cove
Best Beaches in Jacksonville, Florida
Everyone who lives in Jacksonville has their favorite beach, and if you relocate here, you’ll have plenty of time to discover your favorites. But, we recommend exploring the following top beaches:
- Jacksonville Beach – Enjoy adrenaline-pumping surfing, the quarter-mile-long fishing pier, or dine at one of the waterside cafes.
- Neptune Beach – Read a long book, catch a Florida sunset or work on your tan at this beautiful stretch of beach.
- Atlantic Beach – Located just north of Neptune, Atlantic Beach offers an outdoor-lovers paradise with biking trails, swimming, and surfing.
- Ponte Vedra – Is it even retirement if you’re not near a golf course? Ponte Vedra is located just outside Jacksonville and features massive sand dunes and picturesque golf courses.
The Best Tips for Living in Jacksonville, FL
After you’ve found a new place to call home and started exploring the nearby beaches, you might start to wonder what life is really like living in Jacksonville. The metropolis area spreads out over many square miles, so you might need some time to discover all the hidden treasures waiting for you!
Some other tips for relocating to Jacksonville, FL include:
- Know how you’ll get around – If you don’t have a car or don’t love driving, you can use public transportation, ride-sharing, or private transportation to get around the city. Since Jacksonville is so spread out, it’s not really walkable if you want to take advantage of everything this coastal town has to offer.
- Don’t discount the food scene – While you might not think of a foodie destination when you think of Jacksonville, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by all the area offers. Check out some of the newer restaurants headed by James Beard-nominated chefs that can rival some of Miami’s top dining destinations.
- Immerse yourself in the culture – Jacksonville is home to the Museum of Science and History, the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens, the Riverside Art Market, and the Ritz Theatre and Museum. Take your time exploring the places that make Jacksonville a unique place to call home.
- It’s almost always sunny – If you come from a cold-weather state, you might not realize that Jacksonville, FL, offers year-round sunshine. Winter temps typically range from 40-60 degrees, while in the heat of summer, the temperatures can hit around 90 or hotter. Luckily, there are plenty of beaches to keep you cool.
If those reasons aren’t enough to have you packing your bags to move to Jacksonville, Florida, you might love the proximity to other major cities. From Jacksonville, you can easily visit other major cities in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.
Make the most of your retirement years by exploring all Jacksonville, Florida has to offer its year-round residents. Ready to relocate? Upside can help.
Upside is proud to take everything you thought you knew about senior living and turn it on its head. Since our inception, we’ve provided active older adults with dynamic living options that offer maintenance-free, active lifestyles in intergenerational communities.
Upside offers coastal living near the stunning beaches of Tampa, FL, waterfront living in Pompano Beach, FL, picturesque options near West Palm Beach, FL, and more. We offer one-, two-, and three-bedroom units that let retirees downsize to their comfort level while staying front and center for all the hustle and bustle of city life.
Learn more about our unique approach to senior living and start living the retirement life you’ve only dreamed of having. Contact us today to speak with an Upside Advisor.