Apartment Spring Cleaning: A Checklist for Older Adults
You’ve moved your clocks ahead and are now ready to embrace all that spring has to offer. Even in places like Florida, the weather can be unpredictable, and especially if you’re retired, winter can get a little long and monotonous. Spring offers you the chance to get back outside and back to the warm weather routine you know and love.
After spending months cooped up, you probably have a little more clutter than usual. Spring cleaning is a great way to de-clutter your apartment and get some much-needed sunlight and fresh air into your space.
While all Upside members benefit from Upside Managers who can help with housekeeping and maintenance, there might be a few areas you still want to tackle on your own.
Not sure where to start? We can help.
- Medicine Cabinet – It’s easy to neglect your medicine cabinet. Since all medicines end up living in the same cabinet, it doesn’t take long to get a little crowded. Spring is a great time to go through your cabinet and dispose of expired, unused, or unneeded medications. Having them out of the cabinet will ensure you don’t accidentally take expired medicine.
- Refrigerator – You use your refrigerator a lot, and it’s not hard for it to get a little cluttered and messy over time. Even if you stay on top of throwing out expired food, spills and debris can build up in nooks and crannies. Twice a year, it’s a good idea to empty your fridge and clean it from top to bottom. Consider adding a box of baking soda as an air freshener between cleanings.
- Windows – It’s never fun to tackle window cleaning, but it can get pretty messy from rain and debris after winter. Luckily, in an apartment, you probably don’t have quite as many windows as you would have if you lived in a two-story home, so tackle a couple of windows a day until they are all clean. Use a squeegee to get rid of dirt without adding any wrist strain.
- Reduce Clutter – It doesn’t take long for clutter to accumulate. Especially if you spent a lot of time indoors over the winter, you might have bought new books, magazines, and other things that are no longer needed. Go through any large piles and get rid of old documents, mail, and books. Clean out all junk drawers or cabinets. Also, now is an excellent time to consider packing away all your winter gear to make room for the stuff you’ll need in spring and summer.
- Evaluate Safety – As your needs change over time, your Upside Manager can help you tweak your living space to accommodate your needs. But, it’s always good to evaluate your apartment and remove any tripping hazards or floor clutter. Rearranging furniture can help your space flow better and make it easier for you to move around.
Spring cleaning is a great way to keep your apartment clean, safe, and ready for warmer days ahead. If you need help, ask friends, family, or neighbors to come over and make a day of it. Just remember, once the cleaning is done you can start enjoying all spring has to offer.
Upside is proud to take everything you thought you knew about senior living and turn it on its head. Since our inception, we’ve provided active older adults with dynamic living options that offer maintenance-free, active lifestyles in intergenerational communities. We offer one-, two-, and three-bedroom units that let retirees downsize to their comfort level while staying front and center for all the hustle and bustle of city life.
Learn more about our unique approach to senior living and start living the retirement life you’ve only dreamed of having. Contact us today to speak with an Upside Advisor.