Are you thinking about moving to Tampa in your retirement years? You’re not alone. The area has so much to offer when it comes to the fabulous weather, sports teams, fine dining, and beautiful beaches.
But, as an outsider moving from another part of the country, a big move to Tampa or one of its suburbs can be intimidating. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be! By doing a little research on your own, you can learn about what it’s like to live in the area and ensure it’s the perfect place for you to set down roots in your retirement years.
Everything to Know About Where to Relocate in Tampa
Tampa is comprised of more than 70 neighborhoods. Learning about each area can give you a better idea of rental prices, location details, and what each community has to offer.
One of the best things about relocating to Tampa in retirement is that it allows older adults to enjoy intergenerational living. Intergenerational apartments, offered through a service like Upside, are vetted using age-friendly criteria to ensure they are conducive to an older adult’s lifestyle. Plus, mixed-age apartment complexes provide the benefit of being surrounded by younger adults and families.
For most retirees, Hillsborough County is an excellent option for its diverse neighborhoods, including:
- Carrollwood – This early Tampa suburb offers mature oaks, picturesque living, and is about 30 minutes from downtown.
- Westchase – This neighborhood is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and other amenities ideal for people of all ages.
- Brandon – A little taste of country living in Tampa, Brandon neighborhoods are affordable and ideal for quiet living.
Pinellas County is another option for more beachfront living:
- Gulfport – This little town features plenty of charm and is just 15 minutes from downtown St. Pete.
- Clearwater – This is a more prominent area of Tampa that features beachfront mansions and a 10-mile stretch of park-land and bridges.
- Dunedin – With a walkable downtown area, this area attracts young families and retires.
Do your research and find an area in Tampa that offers you the lifestyle you hope to enjoy during your retirement years.
Retirement Life in and Around Tampa
Like the sunshine, the activities in Tampa for older adults shine bright year-round. There is something for everyone, from fishing and manatee viewing to shopping in open-air settings.
Just some of the hotspots in and around Tampa include:
- Downtown – This high-energy area of Tampa hosts popular concerts, festivals, cultural celebrations, and the beloved Gasparilla Parade.
- Hyde Park – This is one of the most desirable areas around Tampa and offers fine dining, shopping, and nightlife.
- SoHo – A foodie destination, this area offers something for everyone and is less busy than downtown.
- St. Petersburg – This beach town is exactly what you picture when you think of Florida living. It offers retirees pleasant weather, golfing, boating, fishing and beach-going.
If you’re in your retirement years and ready for a positive change in your life, Upside can help you find the perfect apartment in Tampa, Florida. We’ve taken the traditional idea of retirement living and turned it upside down so that you can truly enjoy every day of your retirement. With our expanding options for intergenerational living in and around Tampa, you can feel confident you’re living retirement life to the fullest.
Upside is proud to take everything you thought you knew about senior living and turn it on its head. Since our inception, we’ve provided active older adults with dynamic living options that offer maintenance-free, active lifestyles in intergenerational communities. Upside offers coastal living near the stunning beaches of Tampa, FL, waterfront living in Pompano Beach, FL, picturesque options near West Palm Beach, FL, and more. We offer one-, two-, and three-bedroom units that let retirees downsize to their comfort level while staying front and center for all the hustle and bustle of city life.